Sunday, May 23, 2010

Depravity

Dance recital ’10. Solo? Henry Mancini’s The Baby Elephant Walk. It’s funny. People laugh.

This morning caught me thinking “I wish I could be better than funny…” but that’s wrong, isn’t it? Because is there anything better than funny? I suppose that I meant more graceful, flexible, brilliant, drop-dead gorgeous, cool headed; things I could never be and was never intended to be. But are those things really better than being funny? Why is it so hard for me to come to grips with being funny rather than awe-inspiring? “The grass is always greener”? Probably. The truth is that God uses laughter for His glory as much as any of those other things, how I wish that was easier to remember. Then my silly, whiny little humanity cries out that “I don’t want to glorify God that way!” So now all that’s left is to pray that God will change my attitude and forgive me my petty frailties.


On a lighter note, here is the essay I wrote to go with the solo. Please note that the first part is completely tongue-in-cheek.



Make ‘Em Laugh

Over the years, ballet has been used to inspire people—inspire them to do great things, to cry, to love, to hope, and even to dance themselves. It is an expression of one’s self, a vibrant will within us that readily gives itself to the portrayal of emotions and significant events. Ballet forms the characters of its dancers, pushing them on to new levels of determination, teaching them to persevere through the various heart-wrenching challenges of our existence; every blister, callus, and twisted ankle bring new meaning into the life-journey of a dancer. Ballet prepares us to face the world as it changes the world itself. To the end of time ballet will continue to sculpt the existences of petty mortals, growing them and bringing them back to their emotional roots.

That said, there is really no such sinister purpose behind this piece. Henry Mancini is the brilliant composer of this lighthearted music which proves a constant delight to listen and dance to; “The Baby Elephant Walk” (which made its debut in Hapari!) seems to be an embodiment of laughter and good times. It presses no angle, no agenda and no particular moral sensibilities. You may be wondering why this music was chosen and how it pertains to the theme of I Believe; there are many possible explanations, but most truthfully, this music makes yours truly giggle. In the words of the immortal Lina Lamont (from Singing In the Rain) If we can bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothing.” Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lacy said...

Good post, I needed to hear this today! It's hard for me to realize sometimes that what God has called me to do is just as important in His plan as anything, and that whatever He gives me is a huge privilege anyway. Thank you for reminding me!

Have fun performing, people need to laugh!